Monday, July 14, 2008

A Time To Reflect.

It has been a week since my last post.I've been busy with some personal things and reflecting on life,on what I have achieve with this blog,what people say about it,about my other blogs.

To all those out there who thinks my English is bad,well,I'm so sorry.This is the best that I can do and I'm trying each time to improve it.I'm from Malaysia,a country in South East Asia where English is taught as a second language.I speak in Malay since I start to talk,because that is my native language.But I start to learn English when I was about 5 or 6,I keep on asking my dad about this and that,until he decided for me to learn it myself.He gave me an English newspaper and bought me a dictionary,and he teach me how to use it.That is how I learn English.By the time I started school,when I was 7,I can read and spell in English.I live in the rural area,in a Palm Oil Plantation,the nearest town is about 18 miles from our house.I didn't go to kindergarten,but I still do well in school,especially English.

We move to another Palm Oil Plantation in another state when I'm in standard 4(10 years old),and we live there until I'm 20.During my secondary school years,I improve my English by speaking to tourist who came to my place,because the town I live in is the last town before they all went to the famous Taman Negara(National Park).The either came by bus or train,and then continue the journey by bus to the place where they will get on a boat ride up the river to the National Park.I normally hang-out at the bus stand and will ask them where they came from,will they be staying over night before continuing their journey.This really help a lot,with my English,and my confidence.It is never easy to start a conversation with strangers,especially people from foreign countries.

I know my grammar is not very good,but I remember what Seth Godin said,you are not writing to get an A in an exam,nor you are writing about English Literature..you are writing about things that you like,that you want to share with others..Just write it the way you can as long people can understand it!If you don't know who Seth Godin is,he is the bald guy who wrote a few well known books,especially about Internet Marketing and he is the one who created Squidoo.People refer him as the guru of all guru's.

I want to share my view,my thought,that's all..What is the point of writing a post almost like a journal,but people cannot relate to it,or only a few people can appreciate it.What about those who wrote using all those foul language,or writing with certain slang?

People do things in ways that they are comfortable with,not everyone will like it,but certain people do.If my blog is not to your liking,if you find it not up to the mark,not up to your expectation,then just leave and find something that you like.There a are a lot of different blogs out there,we cannot blame them if it is not to our liking,they didn't start a blog to please everybody,but they know some people will appreciate it.I've seen so many blogs that I don't like,but I never comment about it,I just leave it be,they have the right to be here,to create their blog,and they can do whatever they want with it.There are adult blogs,gay and lesbian blogs,Scientology blogs,atheist blogs,blogs that say bad things about Islam..I've seen it all,but never say anything because it is their right to do and write about it.

I'm sorry if my English is bad,but I've seen blogs from certain countries that are worse,but I never criticized and ridicule them,maybe they want to do it like all of us but they lack the knowledge,so why not give them a chance,give them a break.There are translation tools,but would it be the same?I've tried using it on some blogs that are written not in English,and find the article a bit odd.It has lost the originality.

The blogosphere is open for everyone,some will last long,some will just fade away.Just let them be.Who knows mine will be here longer than the one that have a perfect English but boring post.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dont you worry about the language used nor the grammar... your posts are interesting, great in fact and THAT is what counts!
Keep up the good work!!
Kudos to you

Peace
SQ

Anonymous said...

We are a world made up of people and their on unique languages; I for example have a mixture of mid-west and southern accent. Your grammar is easily corrected if you have a Microsoft Word, it will spell and grammar checks for you; this is what most people do. Nonetheless, it is the content of your posts that I find most interesting, the information and your interpretation is an excellent read.
Continue with the good work, stop apologizing for your written form and be proud of the passion you weave into your pieces.

Regards,
Annie O.
www.cedarstreetwriter.wordpress.com

endlessthreadsoftime@live.com

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about people getting on you for your English or grammar. Most Americans don't speak another language and typically wouldn't pass an English test if we took one. Heck, the British think we screw up English every day!

Just keep writing as that is all that matters; what comes from your heart.