Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Plan To Fail If You Fail To Plan..

No matter what you want to do,it is better to plan it properly.Even things that is properly planned sometimes faces problems and difficulties.While we are in school,every year we will be given the timetable,so we can plan ahead on which book to bring on that particular day,and when to do our homework.Planning can also become a career to some,wedding planners,production planners and etc.

If you want to start a business,make sure you make a proper planning before you start.To be successful in business is not just about having a good product or competitive pricing,you need a good business plan.I work as a Freelance Business Consultant,my job requires me to help setup a new business or help a business overcome its problems.Setting up a new business is easier because I can start from scratch and I can give ideas and propose what is best for the business,prepare a business plan as a guide.Helping a business overcome a problem is much more complicated because the business is already running,you have to deal with the owner,the management,the employee,the culture and lots of other things,the biggest of all is the EGO.

I don't want to go into details of making a proper plan or how to develop your business plan,this is not what this blog is about,but just want to share something that happen in this last few weeks of November,regarding 2 restaurant business in 2 different part of my country.

1st restaurant is an open area with a factory size floor area specializing in grill seafood with about 30 to 40 tables and can cater to about 120 to 150 customers at one time.The problem is,the management must have forgot to take into consideration the time it needs to prepare the seafood and how long to cook it because most customer have to wait for about 40 to 60 minutes for their food to arrived,especially the grilled ones.The food is quite good because the recipe is different from other restaurant that offered grilled seafood,but customer will be turn away by the long waiting time,and another problem is customer getting different orders.The waiters tend to mixed up customers orders.

Second restaurant is a normal restaurant specializing in Beryiani.Here the food is average,the problem is with the service.I ordered Iced Tea and the waiter asked hot or cold?I don't know whether to laugh or to be mad,so I just say politely,cold of course.Then the drinks came and he send me a Hot Tea,so I said,I ordered Iced Tea,he replied,I have already told the guy who prepare the drinks the customer ordered Iced Tea!yet he still bring the Hot Tea.I cannot blame the waiter for being stupid but I put the blame on the owner for not training the staff properly especially the front-line staff like waiter/waitress and cashiers,who will engaged with customers in delivering their duties.

Most restaurant owners here put more emphasis on the outlook of their restaurant,and believe their food is as good as any other restaurant around if not better,but failed to plan properly on how to train their front-line employee because a bad service  will leave a bad taste no matter how good your food is.

No comments: